A blog about my reverence for wholesome, nourishing, scrumptious foods and living life to the fullest!


Monday, March 8, 2010

Breakfast Burrito

Breakfast is my favorite meal to eat. I can't really say if this is because it is super important to fuel up and energize early in the day, or if it is simply about how I can daydream over all that I intend to accomplish--while enjoying my morning mealtime.

Nevertheless, I only prefer to eat large, hearty breakfasts on those days when I can sleep in and take my sweet time conjuring up a delicious feast to share with my family.  And although I love to be creative in the kitchen, I always give in to the request of my son for his favorite food--Breakfast Burritos.

As a matter of fact, I have gotten so good at perfecting this tofu and onion version of burrito filling, that most people can't tell by looking that there aren't any eggs inside. 

How Healthy Is That?

Onions may be a useful herb for the prevention of cardiovascular disease, especially since they diminish the risk of blood clots. Onion also protects against stomach and other cancers, as well as protecting against certain infections. Onion can improve lung function, especially in asthmatics. The more pungent varieties of onion appear to possess the greatest concentration of health-promoting phytochemicals.  (http://www.vegetarian-nutrition.info/updates/onions.php)


Recipe Ingredients


1 T olive oil  

1 small yellow onion, chopped (3/4 Cup) 
2 cloves garlic, minced (1-2 teaspoons) 
1 16 oz. package extra firm tofu, drained  
1 t turmeric
1 t cumin 
1/2 t smoked paprika 
1/2 t parsley flakes 
2 T nutritional yeast flakes 
1/8 t red pepper flakes (optional) 
Salt and pepper to taste  
4-6 fresh tortillas (masa harina/corn, or gluten free)

Directions

*Heat Olive Oil in large skillet over medium heat

*Add onions and garlic, sauté until onions are translucent (5-7 minutes) 
*Crumble drained tofu into skillet with your hands and mix with onions and garlic 
*Add the Turmeric, Cumin, Paprika, Parsley,  and Nutritional Yeast Flakes; Mix thoroughly with Tofu  
*Salt and Pepper to taste

To Serve


Heat tortillas according to package directions 

Wrap tofu mixture in tortilla shell 
Serve with Maple Glazed Tofu Strips, and fresh avocado slices
Top with your favorite salsa, and dairy-free sour cream


Serves 3-4 
 

Copyright 2010 
Lisa Casey, M.S.Ed of Living, Loving Food
All rights reserved.
If you re-post this recipe, please give credit where it is due and post a link to 
http://livinglovingfood.blogspot.com/2010/03/breakfast-burrito-with-maple-glazed.htmlhttp

No comments:

Post a Comment